Spaghetti with Melted Tomato Sauce
From EatingWell: July/August 1995
There is nothing simpler nor more satisfying than a meal of pasta tossed with fresh tomato and basil sauce.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 pounds vine-ripened tomatoes (about 6), peeled, seeded and chopped (see Tip)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, slivered
- 1 pound whole-wheat spaghetti, or linguine
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add garlic and cook, stirring, until tender, about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Mash the tomatoes with a potato masher or wooden spoon and simmer until the sauce has thickened, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in basil. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti or linguine in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large, warmed serving bowl. Toss with the tomato sauce and serve at once, passing the cheese at the table.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To quickly seed a tomato: Cut the tomato in half crosswise and scoop out the seeds with your finger while gently squeezing each half.
Per serving: 373 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 66 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 16 g protein; 12 g fiber; 167 mg sodium; 647 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (81% daily value), Vitamin C (45% dv), Vitamin A (35% dv), Magnesium (34% dv), Iron (20% dv), Folate (19% dv), Potassium (18% dv), Zinc (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1995