Spaghetti with Melted Tomato Sauce
From EatingWell: July/August 1995
There is nothing simpler nor more satisfying than a meal of pasta tossed with fresh tomato and basil sauce.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 pounds vine-ripened tomatoes (about 6), peeled, seeded and chopped (see Tip)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, slivered
- 1 pound whole-wheat spaghetti, or linguine
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add garlic and cook, stirring, until tender, about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Mash the tomatoes with a potato masher or wooden spoon and simmer until the sauce has thickened, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in basil. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti or linguine in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large, warmed serving bowl. Toss with the tomato sauce and serve at once, passing the cheese at the table.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To quickly seed a tomato: Cut the tomato in half crosswise and scoop out the seeds with your finger while gently squeezing each half.
Per serving: 373 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 66 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 16 g protein; 12 g fiber; 167 mg sodium; 647 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (81% daily value), Vitamin C (45% dv), Vitamin A (35% dv), Magnesium (34% dv), Iron (20% dv), Folate (19% dv), Potassium (18% dv), Zinc (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1995