Spaghetti with Melted Tomato Sauce
From EatingWell: July/August 1995
There is nothing simpler nor more satisfying than a meal of pasta tossed with fresh tomato and basil sauce.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 pounds vine-ripened tomatoes (about 6), peeled, seeded and chopped (see Tip)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, slivered
- 1 pound whole-wheat spaghetti, or linguine
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add garlic and cook, stirring, until tender, about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Mash the tomatoes with a potato masher or wooden spoon and simmer until the sauce has thickened, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in basil. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti or linguine in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large, warmed serving bowl. Toss with the tomato sauce and serve at once, passing the cheese at the table.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To quickly seed a tomato: Cut the tomato in half crosswise and scoop out the seeds with your finger while gently squeezing each half.
Per serving: 373 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 66 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 16 g protein; 12 g fiber; 167 mg sodium; 647 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (81% daily value), Vitamin C (45% dv), Vitamin A (35% dv), Magnesium (34% dv), Iron (20% dv), Folate (19% dv), Potassium (18% dv), Zinc (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1995