Spaghetti with Clam Sauce
From EatingWell: May/June 1994
We use whole baby clams, chopped plum tomatoes and lots of fresh herbs to create a delicious clam sauce for pasta that has only 8 grams of fat per serving. Toasted pine nuts add complexity and rich texture to this classic Italian combination.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 10-ounce can whole baby clams, drained, liquid reserved, or 8 ounces minced fresh clams, liquid reserved
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 12 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti, or linguine
- Put a large pot of water on to boil. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and garlic; cook, stirring, until the tomatoes have softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in wine and clam liquid; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in parsley, basil and clams and heat through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toast pine nuts in a small dry skillet over medium heat, stirring, until golden, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in the boiling water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and add to the pan with the sauce. Toss to coat. Sprinkle with the pine nuts and serve immediately.
Per serving: 461 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 57 mg cholesterol; 73 g carbohydrates; 25 g protein; 12 g fiber; 456 mg sodium; 411 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (90% daily value), Iron (22% dv), Calcium & Vitamin A (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Entertaining, casual
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1994