Spaghetti with Clam Sauce
From EatingWell: May/June 1994
We use whole baby clams, chopped plum tomatoes and lots of fresh herbs to create a delicious clam sauce for pasta that has only 8 grams of fat per serving. Toasted pine nuts add complexity and rich texture to this classic Italian combination.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 10-ounce can whole baby clams, drained, liquid reserved, or 8 ounces minced fresh clams, liquid reserved
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 12 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti, or linguine
- Put a large pot of water on to boil. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and garlic; cook, stirring, until the tomatoes have softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in wine and clam liquid; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in parsley, basil and clams and heat through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toast pine nuts in a small dry skillet over medium heat, stirring, until golden, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in the boiling water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and add to the pan with the sauce. Toss to coat. Sprinkle with the pine nuts and serve immediately.
Per serving: 461 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 57 mg cholesterol; 73 g carbohydrates; 25 g protein; 12 g fiber; 456 mg sodium; 411 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (90% daily value), Iron (22% dv), Calcium & Vitamin A (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
If you’re watching what you eat, you may be trying to eat...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual
- Ease of Preparation
- May/June 1994