Spaghetti with Clam Sauce
From EatingWell: May/June 1994
We use whole baby clams, chopped plum tomatoes and lots of fresh herbs to create a delicious clam sauce for pasta that has only 8 grams of fat per serving. Toasted pine nuts add complexity and rich texture to this classic Italian combination.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 10-ounce can whole baby clams, drained, liquid reserved, or 8 ounces minced fresh clams, liquid reserved
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 12 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti, or linguine
- Put a large pot of water on to boil. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and garlic; cook, stirring, until the tomatoes have softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in wine and clam liquid; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in parsley, basil and clams and heat through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toast pine nuts in a small dry skillet over medium heat, stirring, until golden, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in the boiling water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and add to the pan with the sauce. Toss to coat. Sprinkle with the pine nuts and serve immediately.
Per serving: 461 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 57 mg cholesterol; 73 g carbohydrates; 25 g protein; 12 g fiber; 456 mg sodium; 411 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (90% daily value), Iron (22% dv), Calcium & Vitamin A (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Ring in the new year with low-calorie recipes from our new issue...
Jump-start your morning with our healthy, low-calorie...
A perfectly ripe avocado is the perfect addition to salads,...
It’s time for the avocado to shake its bad rap: sinfully...
Celebrate the holiday season with low-calorie recipes from our...
Skip the super-greasy fried food and creamy dips and go for...
Make a healthy snack for kids with one of our easy snack...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Eating healthy snacks is a good way to stave off hunger pangs...
Spaghetti and Meatballs is a classic, comforting Italian...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Resolve to eat healthier? No matter how busy you are, get in...
Breakfast is the most important meal—giving you a much-needed...
People who are most successful at losing weight—and keeping...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
- Entertaining, casual
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1994