Spaghetti with Clam Sauce
From EatingWell: May/June 1994
We use whole baby clams, chopped plum tomatoes and lots of fresh herbs to create a delicious clam sauce for pasta that has only 8 grams of fat per serving. Toasted pine nuts add complexity and rich texture to this classic Italian combination.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 10-ounce can whole baby clams, drained, liquid reserved, or 8 ounces minced fresh clams, liquid reserved
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 12 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti, or linguine
- Put a large pot of water on to boil. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and garlic; cook, stirring, until the tomatoes have softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in wine and clam liquid; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in parsley, basil and clams and heat through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toast pine nuts in a small dry skillet over medium heat, stirring, until golden, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in the boiling water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and add to the pan with the sauce. Toss to coat. Sprinkle with the pine nuts and serve immediately.
Per serving: 461 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 57 mg cholesterol; 73 g carbohydrates; 25 g protein; 12 g fiber; 456 mg sodium; 411 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (90% daily value), Iron (22% dv), Calcium & Vitamin A (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- May/June 1994