Spaghetti Squash & Pork Stir-Fry
From EatingWell: September/October 2007
Here's an unusual but delicious way to use the delicate strands of spaghetti squash—in an Asian-inspired pork stir-fry. The flavors of toasted sesame oil, fresh ginger, garlic and a hit of spicy red chile sauce cling to the beautiful strands. Serve with jasmine rice.
- 1 3-pound spaghetti squash
- 1 pound pork tenderloin,trimmed
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 5 medium scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Asian red chile sauce, such as sriracha, or chile oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut squash in half. Scoop out and discard seeds. Place each half, cut-side down, on a baking sheet. Bake until the squash is tender, about 1 hour. Let cool for 10 minutes then shred the flesh with a fork into a bowl. Discard the shell.
- Slice pork into thin rounds; cut each round into matchsticks.
- Heat a large wok over medium-high heat. Swirl in oil, then add scallions, garlic, ginger and salt; cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add the pork; cook, stirring constantly, until just cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the squash threads and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add soy sauce, rice vinegar and chile sauce (or chile oil); cook, stirring constantly, until aromatic, about 30 seconds.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the squash (Steps 1 & 2), cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 236 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 74 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 27 g protein; 5 g fiber; 707 mg sodium; 878 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value), Potassium (24% dv), Iron (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrates, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- September/October 2007