Spaghetti Squash & Pork Stir-Fry
From EatingWell: September/October 2007
Here's an unusual but delicious way to use the delicate strands of spaghetti squash—in an Asian-inspired pork stir-fry. The flavors of toasted sesame oil, fresh ginger, garlic and a hit of spicy red chile sauce cling to the beautiful strands. Serve with jasmine rice.
- 1 3-pound spaghetti squash
- 1 pound pork tenderloin,trimmed
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 5 medium scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Asian red chile sauce, such as sriracha, or chile oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut squash in half. Scoop out and discard seeds. Place each half, cut-side down, on a baking sheet. Bake until the squash is tender, about 1 hour. Let cool for 10 minutes then shred the flesh with a fork into a bowl. Discard the shell.
- Slice pork into thin rounds; cut each round into matchsticks.
- Heat a large wok over medium-high heat. Swirl in oil, then add scallions, garlic, ginger and salt; cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add the pork; cook, stirring constantly, until just cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the squash threads and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add soy sauce, rice vinegar and chile sauce (or chile oil); cook, stirring constantly, until aromatic, about 30 seconds.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the squash (Steps 1 & 2), cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 236 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 74 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 27 g protein; 5 g fiber; 707 mg sodium; 878 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value), Potassium (24% dv), Iron (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrates, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- September/October 2007