It's not quite spaghetti and meatballs, but it is a very good approximation. I will definitely make it again and will share the recipe with friends.
Spaghetti Squash & Meatballs
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
With this spaghetti squash and meatballs recipe, you can reduce the carbohydrates and increase the vegetable servings by skipping pasta and serving the Italian-seasoned turkey meatballs and quick, homemade marinara sauce over thin strands of cooked spaghetti squash instead. Cooking the squash first in the microwave and then in a skillet to cook off the extra moisture, gives the squash a more spaghetti-like texture.
3 Reviews for Spaghetti Squash & Meatballs
Instead of cooking the squash in the microwave, I decided to roast it at 400 for 40 minutes, upside down with a little olive oil and salt and pepper. I don't recommend making meatballs as they were falling apart. Something may be missing from the recipe to hold them together, such as eggs and bread. The sauce was great in meat sauce form and very easy to throw together.
I made this last night but I fiddled with the recipe. I cooked the squash whole in the microwave by piercing it all over with a knife and then just cooking it in 5 minute increments until done. When it was done, I just used it without sautéing it. For the meatballs, I replaced the cheese with a panade of high fiber bread and water. For the sauce, I added a chopped onion to the meatball pan with the garlic before adding the tomato product. I simmered the meatballs a bit longer than stated too. My guy loved them!
p.s. Using an ice cream or cookie scoop makes it easy to form the meatballs.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)