From EatingWell: September/October 2012
Traditionally, this Italian pasta recipe combines pasta and pesto with potatoes and green beans. In our recipe for Spaghetti Genovese we give pesto a nutritional boost by adding spinach and toss it all together with fiber-rich whole-wheat pasta for a warm, comforting weeknight meal. Serve with escarole and radicchio salad.
- 2 cups packed baby spinach
- 8 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti
- 1 cup thinly sliced new or baby potatoes (about 4 ounces)
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup prepared pesto
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add spinach and cook just until wilted, about 45 seconds. Use a slotted spoon or fine sieve to transfer the spinach to a blender. Return the water to a boil and add spaghetti and potatoes. Cook, stirring once or twice, until almost tender, 6 to 7 minutes. Add green beans and cook until tender, 3 to 4 minutes more.
- When the spaghetti and vegetables are almost done, carefully scoop out 1 cup of the cooking liquid from the pot. Pour 1/2 cup of the liquid into the blender and add pesto, pepper and salt. Blend until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides as necessary.
- Drain the spaghetti and vegetables and return to the pot; stir in the pesto mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring gently, until the sauce is thickened and the pasta is hot, 1 to 2 minutes. Add more of the cooking liquid, as desired, for a thinner sauce.
Per serving: 333 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 7 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 47 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 10 g fiber; 438 mg sodium; 455 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (37% daily value), Magnesium (27% dv), Calcium (25% dv), Vitamin C (22% dv), Iron (21% dv), Folate (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2012