From EatingWell: March/April 1993
Leftover spaghetti? Try mixing it with eggs for an Italian omelet.
- 8 ounces spaghetti, (or 4 cups cooked spaghetti)
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 onions, chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tomato, diced (optional)
- Cook spaghetti in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender but firm. Drain and refresh with cold water.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer the onions to a small bowl and let cool slightly. Wipe out the pan.
- Whisk together eggs, egg whites and milk in a large bowl. Stir in the onions, Parmesan, parsley, basil, salt and pepper. Add the spaghetti.
- Spray the pan well with nonstick cooking spray and place over medium heat. Pour in the egg mixture and distribute evenly in the pan. Cook until the underside is golden, moving the pan around on the burner to ensure even cooking, about 6 minutes. Invert a large platter over the skillet, grasp the platter and skillet with oven mitts and carefully turn over. Lift off the skillet and spray it again with nonstick cooking spray. Slide the frittata back into the skillet and cook until the bottom is golden. Slide the frittata onto a platter. Garnish with tomatoes if using.
Per serving: 178 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 75 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 9 g protein; 2 g fiber; 516 mg sodium; 216 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1993