From EatingWell: March/April 1993
Leftover spaghetti? Try mixing it with eggs for an Italian omelet.
- 8 ounces spaghetti, (or 4 cups cooked spaghetti)
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 onions, chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tomato, diced (optional)
- Cook spaghetti in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender but firm. Drain and refresh with cold water.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer the onions to a small bowl and let cool slightly. Wipe out the pan.
- Whisk together eggs, egg whites and milk in a large bowl. Stir in the onions, Parmesan, parsley, basil, salt and pepper. Add the spaghetti.
- Spray the pan well with nonstick cooking spray and place over medium heat. Pour in the egg mixture and distribute evenly in the pan. Cook until the underside is golden, moving the pan around on the burner to ensure even cooking, about 6 minutes. Invert a large platter over the skillet, grasp the platter and skillet with oven mitts and carefully turn over. Lift off the skillet and spray it again with nonstick cooking spray. Slide the frittata back into the skillet and cook until the bottom is golden. Slide the frittata onto a platter. Garnish with tomatoes if using.
Per serving: 178 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 75 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 9 g protein; 2 g fiber; 516 mg sodium; 216 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 1993