Southwestern Tofu Scramble
From EatingWell: March/April 2008
Cooking crumbled firm tofu in a skillet approximates the fluffy texture of scrambled eggs in this vegetable-studded, vegetarian main dish. Enjoy it for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Serve with steamed corn tortillas, some extra salsa and black beans.
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 14-ounce package firm water-packed tofu, rinsed and crumbled
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 3/4 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup prepared salsa
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add tofu, chili powder, cumin and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring, until the tofu begins to brown, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan. Add zucchini, corn, scallions and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables are just tender, about 3 minutes. Return the tofu to the pan and cook, stirring, until heated through, about 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat and stir in cheese until just melted. Top each serving with 2 tablespoons salsa and 1 tablespoon cilantro.
Per serving: 202 calories; 12 g fat (4 g sat, 5 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 13 g protein; 3 g fiber; 501 mg sodium; 422 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (35% daily value), Vitamin C (20% dv), Iron & Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 medium fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2008