Southwestern Steak Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2014
This steak salad recipe is packed with fresh summer corn, ripe tomatoes and silky avocado. It might be hard to imagine that this healthy dinner can be whipped up so quickly but the secret is in the timing. While the steak is cooking under the broiler, you’ll have plenty of time to whisk together the lightened-up creamy chipotle dressing and assemble the rest of the salad. Serve with crumbled tortilla chips for an extra crunch.
- 1 pound flank steak, trimmed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1-2 tablespoons minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (see Tip)
- 6 cups sliced romaine lettuce
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 1 firm ripe avocado, diced
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Position oven rack about 3 inches from heat source; preheat broiler to high. Coat a broiler-safe pan with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle steak with cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Place on the prepared pan and broil, turning once, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part registers 125°-130°F for medium-rare, 3 to 6 minutes per side. Let rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice across the grain, then chop into bite-size pieces.
- Meanwhile, whisk sour cream, oil, vinegar, chipotles to taste and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Transfer 4 tablespoons of the dressing to a small bowl. Add romaine, corn and avocado to the large bowl; toss to coat. Divide the salad and tomato wedges among 4 plates. Top each with cheese, the chopped steak and 1 tablespoon of the reserved dressing.
Tips & Notes
- Look for small cans of smoky chipotle peppers in adobo sauce near other Mexican ingredients in well-stocked supermarkets. Once opened, refrigerate for up to 2 weeks or freeze for up to 6 months.
Per serving: 456 calories; 28 g fat (9 g sat, 15 g mono); 92 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g total sugars; 33 g protein; 7 g fiber; 655 mg sodium; 1130 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (140% daily value), Folate (47% dv), Zinc (39% dv), Vitamin C (33% dv), Potassium (32% dv), Vitamin B12 (24% dv), Magnesium (21% dv), Calcium & Iron (19% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 medium-fat meat, 3 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2014