Southwestern Steak & Peppers
This juicy spice-crusted steak gets finished with a dynamite sauce made with an unusual ingredient--coffee, which adds depth and richness to the dish. Slice the steak very thinly across the grain to ensure the most tender results.
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 pound boneless top sirloin steak, trimmed of fat
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled, 1 halved and 2 minced
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, or extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 red bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 medium white onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee, or prepared instant coffee
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 4 cups watercress sprigs
- Mix cumin, coriander, chili powder, salt and 3/4 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl. Rub steak with the cut garlic. Rub the spice mix all over the steak.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large heavy skillet, preferably cast iron, over medium-high heat. Add the steak and cook to desired doneness, 4 to 6 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest.
- Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the skillet. Add bell peppers and onion; cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add minced garlic and brown sugar; cook, stirring often, for 1 minute. Add coffee, vinegar and any accumulated meat juices; cook for 3 minutes to intensify flavor. Season with pepper.
- To serve, mound 1 cup watercress on each plate. Top with the sauteed peppers and onion. Slice the steak thinly across the grain and arrange on the vegetables. Pour the sauce from the pan over the steak. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 226 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 26 g protein; 3 g fiber; 216 mg sodium; 606 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (210% daily value), Vitamin A (60% dv), Iron (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation