Southwestern Steak & Peppers
This juicy spice-crusted steak gets finished with a dynamite sauce made with an unusual ingredient--coffee, which adds depth and richness to the dish. Slice the steak very thinly across the grain to ensure the most tender results.
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 pound boneless top sirloin steak, trimmed of fat
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled, 1 halved and 2 minced
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, or extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 red bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 medium white onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee, or prepared instant coffee
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 4 cups watercress sprigs
- Mix cumin, coriander, chili powder, salt and 3/4 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl. Rub steak with the cut garlic. Rub the spice mix all over the steak.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large heavy skillet, preferably cast iron, over medium-high heat. Add the steak and cook to desired doneness, 4 to 6 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest.
- Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the skillet. Add bell peppers and onion; cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add minced garlic and brown sugar; cook, stirring often, for 1 minute. Add coffee, vinegar and any accumulated meat juices; cook for 3 minutes to intensify flavor. Season with pepper.
- To serve, mound 1 cup watercress on each plate. Top with the sauteed peppers and onion. Slice the steak thinly across the grain and arrange on the vegetables. Pour the sauce from the pan over the steak. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 226 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 26 g protein; 3 g fiber; 216 mg sodium; 606 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (210% daily value), Vitamin A (60% dv), Iron (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If you’re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
There’s no “magic bullet” for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If you’re feeling blue—or want to ward off feeling that way—...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When you’re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If you’re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient