Southwestern Steak & Peppers
This juicy spice-crusted steak gets finished with a dynamite sauce made with an unusual ingredient--coffee, which adds depth and richness to the dish. Slice the steak very thinly across the grain to ensure the most tender results.
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 pound boneless top sirloin steak, trimmed of fat
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled, 1 halved and 2 minced
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, or extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 red bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 medium white onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee, or prepared instant coffee
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 4 cups watercress sprigs
- Mix cumin, coriander, chili powder, salt and 3/4 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl. Rub steak with the cut garlic. Rub the spice mix all over the steak.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large heavy skillet, preferably cast iron, over medium-high heat. Add the steak and cook to desired doneness, 4 to 6 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest.
- Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the skillet. Add bell peppers and onion; cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add minced garlic and brown sugar; cook, stirring often, for 1 minute. Add coffee, vinegar and any accumulated meat juices; cook for 3 minutes to intensify flavor. Season with pepper.
- To serve, mound 1 cup watercress on each plate. Top with the sauteed peppers and onion. Slice the steak thinly across the grain and arrange on the vegetables. Pour the sauce from the pan over the steak. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 226 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 26 g protein; 3 g fiber; 216 mg sodium; 606 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (210% daily value), Vitamin A (60% dv), Iron (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient