Southwestern Scrambled Eggs
From EatingWell: November 1997
Sick of plain scrambled eggs? Cilantro, scallions and salsa to the rescue! Serve with warm corn tortillas and black beans.
- 4 corn tortillas
- 4 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Place a tortilla directly on a stovetop burner set at medium-low and toast, turning frequently with tongs, until light golden and fragrant, 30 to 60 seconds. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Cut the toasted tortillas into 1/4-inch-wide strips and set aside.
- Whisk eggs and egg whites in a medium bowl. Add the tortilla strips, salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat and sauté scallions. Add egg mixture; scramble until eggs are set. Serve with cilantro and salsa.
Per serving: 157 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 212 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 11 g protein; 2 g fiber; 210 mg sodium; 178 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (34% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- November 1997