Southwestern Scrambled Eggs
From EatingWell: November 1997
Sick of plain scrambled eggs? Cilantro, scallions and salsa to the rescue! Serve with warm corn tortillas and black beans.
- 4 corn tortillas
- 4 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Place a tortilla directly on a stovetop burner set at medium-low and toast, turning frequently with tongs, until light golden and fragrant, 30 to 60 seconds. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Cut the toasted tortillas into 1/4-inch-wide strips and set aside.
- Whisk eggs and egg whites in a medium bowl. Add the tortilla strips, salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat and sauté scallions. Add egg mixture; scramble until eggs are set. Serve with cilantro and salsa.
Per serving: 157 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 212 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 11 g protein; 2 g fiber; 210 mg sodium; 178 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (34% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- November 1997