Southwestern Scrambled Eggs
From EatingWell: November 1997
Sick of plain scrambled eggs? Cilantro, scallions and salsa to the rescue! Serve with warm corn tortillas and black beans.
- 4 corn tortillas
- 4 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Place a tortilla directly on a stovetop burner set at medium-low and toast, turning frequently with tongs, until light golden and fragrant, 30 to 60 seconds. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Cut the toasted tortillas into 1/4-inch-wide strips and set aside.
- Whisk eggs and egg whites in a medium bowl. Add the tortilla strips, salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat and sauté scallions. Add egg mixture; scramble until eggs are set. Serve with cilantro and salsa.
Per serving: 157 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 212 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 11 g protein; 2 g fiber; 210 mg sodium; 178 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (34% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- November 1997