Southwestern Scrambled Eggs
From EatingWell: November 1997
Sick of plain scrambled eggs? Cilantro, scallions and salsa to the rescue! Serve with warm corn tortillas and black beans.
- 4 corn tortillas
- 4 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Place a tortilla directly on a stovetop burner set at medium-low and toast, turning frequently with tongs, until light golden and fragrant, 30 to 60 seconds. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Cut the toasted tortillas into 1/4-inch-wide strips and set aside.
- Whisk eggs and egg whites in a medium bowl. Add the tortilla strips, salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat and sauté scallions. Add egg mixture; scramble until eggs are set. Serve with cilantro and salsa.
Per serving: 157 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 212 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 11 g protein; 2 g fiber; 210 mg sodium; 178 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (34% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...
These recipes for instant appetizers use 5 ingredients or...
Many holiday celebrations include festive drinks, and we’ve...
These festive holiday appetizers are tried-and-true cocktail...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- November 1997