Southwestern Sauté with Salsa Grits
From EatingWell: September/October 2011
Cheesy, salsa-flavored grits are the base for this easy bean and vegetable sauté. Use fresh salsa (found in the market near other dips) to keep sodium in check. Look for quick grits near oatmeal and other hot cereals or near cornmeal in the baking aisle. Serve with a romaine and red cabbage salad with avocado and pepitas.
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 1/4 cups store-bought fresh salsa or 10-ounce can Rotel diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup quick grits
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 cups frozen bell pepper and onion mix
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Combine water, salsa (or tomatoes) and grits in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook, stirring once or twice, until thickened, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 1/4 cup cheese. Keep covered. (The grits will thicken slightly as they stand.)
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium, add corn, pepper-onion mix, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and salt. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables are warm, about 5 minutes. Stir in beans and cook, stirring, until heated through, 3 to 4 minutes more. Serve the bean and vegetable mixture over the grits, sprinkled with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese and cilantro.
Per serving: 373 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 64 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 8 g fiber; 679 mg sodium; 472 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (43% daily value), Folate (36% dv), Vitamin A (28% dv), Iron (17% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean-meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2011