Southwestern Sauté with Salsa Grits
From EatingWell: September/October 2011
Cheesy, salsa-flavored grits are the base for this easy bean and vegetable sauté. Use fresh salsa (found in the market near other dips) to keep sodium in check. Look for quick grits near oatmeal and other hot cereals or near cornmeal in the baking aisle. Serve with a romaine and red cabbage salad with avocado and pepitas.
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 1/4 cups store-bought fresh salsa or 10-ounce can Rotel diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup quick grits
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 cups frozen bell pepper and onion mix
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Combine water, salsa (or tomatoes) and grits in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook, stirring once or twice, until thickened, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 1/4 cup cheese. Keep covered. (The grits will thicken slightly as they stand.)
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium, add corn, pepper-onion mix, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and salt. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables are warm, about 5 minutes. Stir in beans and cook, stirring, until heated through, 3 to 4 minutes more. Serve the bean and vegetable mixture over the grits, sprinkled with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese and cilantro.
Per serving: 373 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 64 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 8 g fiber; 679 mg sodium; 472 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (43% daily value), Folate (36% dv), Vitamin A (28% dv), Iron (17% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean-meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- September/October 2011