Southwestern Sauté with Salsa Grits
From EatingWell: September/October 2011
Cheesy, salsa-flavored grits are the base for this easy bean and vegetable sauté. Use fresh salsa (found in the market near other dips) to keep sodium in check. Look for quick grits near oatmeal and other hot cereals or near cornmeal in the baking aisle. Serve with a romaine and red cabbage salad with avocado and pepitas.
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 1/4 cups store-bought fresh salsa or 10-ounce can Rotel diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup quick grits
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 cups frozen bell pepper and onion mix
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Combine water, salsa (or tomatoes) and grits in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook, stirring once or twice, until thickened, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 1/4 cup cheese. Keep covered. (The grits will thicken slightly as they stand.)
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium, add corn, pepper-onion mix, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and salt. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables are warm, about 5 minutes. Stir in beans and cook, stirring, until heated through, 3 to 4 minutes more. Serve the bean and vegetable mixture over the grits, sprinkled with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese and cilantro.
Per serving: 373 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 64 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 8 g fiber; 679 mg sodium; 472 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (43% daily value), Folate (36% dv), Vitamin A (28% dv), Iron (17% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean-meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2011