Southwestern Sauté with Salsa Grits
From EatingWell: September/October 2011
Cheesy, salsa-flavored grits are the base for this easy bean and vegetable sauté. Use fresh salsa (found in the market near other dips) to keep sodium in check. Look for quick grits near oatmeal and other hot cereals or near cornmeal in the baking aisle. Serve with a romaine and red cabbage salad with avocado and pepitas.
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 1/4 cups store-bought fresh salsa or 10-ounce can Rotel diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup quick grits
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 cups frozen bell pepper and onion mix
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Combine water, salsa (or tomatoes) and grits in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook, stirring once or twice, until thickened, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 1/4 cup cheese. Keep covered. (The grits will thicken slightly as they stand.)
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium, add corn, pepper-onion mix, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and salt. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables are warm, about 5 minutes. Stir in beans and cook, stirring, until heated through, 3 to 4 minutes more. Serve the bean and vegetable mixture over the grits, sprinkled with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese and cilantro.
Per serving: 373 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 64 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 8 g fiber; 679 mg sodium; 472 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (43% daily value), Folate (36% dv), Vitamin A (28% dv), Iron (17% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean-meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2011