Southwestern Sauté with Salsa Grits
From EatingWell: September/October 2011
Cheesy, salsa-flavored grits are the base for this easy bean and vegetable sauté. Use fresh salsa (found in the market near other dips) to keep sodium in check. Look for quick grits near oatmeal and other hot cereals or near cornmeal in the baking aisle. Serve with a romaine and red cabbage salad with avocado and pepitas.
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 1/4 cups store-bought fresh salsa or 10-ounce can Rotel diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup quick grits
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 cups frozen bell pepper and onion mix
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Combine water, salsa (or tomatoes) and grits in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook, stirring once or twice, until thickened, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 1/4 cup cheese. Keep covered. (The grits will thicken slightly as they stand.)
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium, add corn, pepper-onion mix, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and salt. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables are warm, about 5 minutes. Stir in beans and cook, stirring, until heated through, 3 to 4 minutes more. Serve the bean and vegetable mixture over the grits, sprinkled with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese and cilantro.
Per serving: 373 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 64 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 8 g fiber; 679 mg sodium; 472 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (43% daily value), Folate (36% dv), Vitamin A (28% dv), Iron (17% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean-meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- September/October 2011