Southwestern Rubbed Turkey
From EatingWell: October/November 2005
Smoked paprika is the key to the turkey rub in this recipe. It can be purchased in gourmet markets and online at www.tienda.com. Roasting the bird breast-side down for the first half keeps the breast meat succulent and moist.
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds, toasted and ground (see Tip)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 cups water, divided
- 1 12-pound turkey, giblets removed
- Position rack in lower third of oven; preheat to 350°F.
- Mix paprika, ground cumin, cinnamon, salt and pepper in a small bowl; stir in 2 tablespoons water to make a paste. Rub the mixture all over the turkey, particularly under the skin and onto the breast meat.
- Place the turkey breast-side down on a roasting rack in a large roasting pan. Add 2 cups water to the pan. Roast for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove the turkey from the oven and turn it over"either use silicon oven gloves or cover the bird with foil and use cloth oven mitts to turn it over. Continue roasting, basting occasionally with pan juices, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh without touching bone registers 180°F, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours more. If the bird is browning too deeply, tent with foil while it continues to bake. If the pan runs out of juices, add about 1/2 cup water, scrape up any browned bits, and use this liquid for basting. Let rest at room temperature for 30 minutes before carving.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Toast cumin seeds in a small skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool. Grind in a spice mill or blender into a fine powder.
Per serving: 346 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 222 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 67 g protein; 1 g fiber; 348 mg sodium; 606 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (118% daily value), Zinc (60% dv), Iron (30% dv), Potassium (17% dv).
Exchanges: 9 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- October/November 2005