Southwestern Pumpkin Burgers
From EatingWell: Summer 2002
Colorful, spicy and fragrant, these delicious burgers are right in style with the contemporary fondness for Southwestern foods, especially when served with Fresh Tomato Salsa.
- 6 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red or green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Tomato Salsa, optional (recipe follows)
- 1/2 cup canned unseasoned pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack, or Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/2 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 6 8-inch flour tortillas, (soft-taco size)
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in bell pepper, corn, garlic, chili powder and cumin; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes more. Transfer to a large bowl; let cool to room temperature, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare Tomato Salsa, if using.
- Add pumpkin, cheese, wheat germ, breadcrumbs, parsley, salt and pepper to the onion mixture; mix well. With dampened hands, form the vegetable mixture into six 1/2-inch-thick patties, using about 1/2 cup for each.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Stack tortillas and wrap in aluminum foil. Place in the oven for about 15 minutes to heat through. (Alternatively, stack tortillas between two damp paper towels; microwave on high for 30 to 60 seconds, or until heated through.)
- Using 2 teaspoons oil per batch, cook 2 to 4 patties at a time in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until browned and heated through, about 4 minutes per side. Adjust heat as necessary for even browning. Wrap the patties in tortillas and serve immediately, garnished with lettuce and Fresh Tomato Salsa, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3. Wrap patties individually and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before cooking.
Per serving: 331 calories; 13 g fat (4 g sat, 7 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 12 g protein; 6 g fiber; 638 mg sodium; 407 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (100% daily value), Vitamin C (45% dv), Folate 34% dv), Selenium (30% dv), Calcium & Iron (20% dv), Magnesium & Zinc (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 high-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Summer 2002
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)