Southwestern Omelet Wrap
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Diabetes Cookbook (2005)
Folding a flat omelet in a whole-wheat wrapper makes a high-protein breakfast (or lunch) that is totable and fun. If you want to start the day with a hot egg breakfast, but don't want to fuss with cooking in the morning, you can make this wrap the night before. In the morning, just microwave and go.
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce, such as
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped scallions
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro, or parsley (optional)
- 2 tablespoons prepared black bean dip
- 1 9-inch whole-wheat wrap, (see Ingredient note)
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons grated pepper Jack or Cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon prepared green or red salsa, (optional)
- Set oven rack 6 inches from the heat source; preheat broiler. Stir eggs, hot sauce and pepper briskly with a fork in a medium bowl. Stir in scallions and cilantro (or parsley), if using.
- If black bean dip is cold, warm it in the microwave on High for 10 to 20 seconds. Place wrap between paper towels and warm in the microwave on High for about 10 seconds. Spread bean dip over the wrap, leaving a 1-inch border all around.
- Brush oil over a 10-inch nonstick skillet; heat over medium heat. Add the egg mixture and cook, lifting the edges with a heat-resistant rubber spatula so uncooked egg will flow underneath, until the bottom is light golden, 20 to 30 seconds. Place the skillet under the broiler and broil just until the top is set, 20 to 30 seconds. Immediately slide the omelet onto the wrap. Sprinkle with cheese. Fold the edges over the omelet on two sides, then roll the wrap up and around the omelet. Serve immediately, with salsa, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Wrap in plastic and refrigerate, overnight. To reheat, remove plastic wrap and rewrap in paper towel. Microwave at High for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Ingredient Note: You can find wraps designed for wrap sandwiches in the deli section of large supermarkets. Cedar Foods (www.cedarfoods.com) makes a good whole-wheat one.
Per serving: 318 calories; 17 g fat (5 g sat, 5 g mono); 201 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 18 g protein; 2 g fiber; 678 mg sodium; 147 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (25% daily value), Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 high-fat meat, 1 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- The EatingWell Diabetes Cookbook (2005)
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)