Southwestern Calico Corn
From EatingWell: June/July 2006
Peppers, cumin and chili powder are a natural combination with corn and hominy (dried corn that's had its hull removed).
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 poblano pepper, diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 14-ounce can hominy, rinsed (see Ingredient Note)
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add poblano pepper, bell pepper and corn, and cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in chili powder, cumin and salt; cook for 30 seconds more. Add hominy and cook, stirring, until heated through, about 2 minutes more.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Hominy is white or yellow corn that has been treated with lime to remove the tough hull and germ. Dried, ground hominy is the main ingredient in grits. Canned, cooked hominy can be found in the Mexican or canned-vegetable section of large supermarkets—near the beans.
Per serving: 98 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 186 mg sodium; 185 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch. 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- June/July 2006