Southwestern Calico Corn
From EatingWell: June/July 2006
Peppers, cumin and chili powder are a natural combination with corn and hominy (dried corn that's had its hull removed).
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 poblano pepper, diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 14-ounce can hominy, rinsed (see Ingredient Note)
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add poblano pepper, bell pepper and corn, and cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in chili powder, cumin and salt; cook for 30 seconds more. Add hominy and cook, stirring, until heated through, about 2 minutes more.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Hominy is white or yellow corn that has been treated with lime to remove the tough hull and germ. Dried, ground hominy is the main ingredient in grits. Canned, cooked hominy can be found in the Mexican or canned-vegetable section of large supermarkets—near the beans.
Per serving: 98 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 186 mg sodium; 185 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch. 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- June/July 2006