Southwestern Salad with Black Beans
From EatingWell: March/April 2011
Here we top salad greens with black beans, sweet corn and grape tomatoes and bring it all together with a tangy avocado-lime dressing for a Mexican-inspired salad. Try this salad for a take-along lunch. To keep the salad greens from getting soggy, pack the greens, salad toppings and dressing in separate containers and toss them together just before eating.
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 3/4 cup packed fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, quartered
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups mixed greens
- 1/2 cup black beans, canned (rinsed) or cooked
- 1/2 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes
- Place avocado, cilantro, yogurt, scallions, garlic, lime juice, sugar and salt in a blender; blend until smooth.
- Place greens in an individual salad bowl; toss with 2 tablespoons of the dressing. (Refrigerate the remaining dressing.) Top the greens with black beans, corn and tomatoes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate leftover dressing for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 235 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 13 g fiber; 307 mg sodium; 1325 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (108% daily value), Vitamin C (78% dv), Folate (77% dv), Potassium (38% dv), Iron (27% dv), Magnesium (21% dv), Calcium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- March/April 2011