Southwestern Salad with Black Beans
From EatingWell: March/April 2011
Here we top salad greens with black beans, sweet corn and grape tomatoes and bring it all together with a tangy avocado-lime dressing for a Mexican-inspired salad. Try this salad for a take-along lunch. To keep the salad greens from getting soggy, pack the greens, salad toppings and dressing in separate containers and toss them together just before eating.
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 3/4 cup packed fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, quartered
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups mixed greens
- 1/2 cup black beans, canned (rinsed) or cooked
- 1/2 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes
- Place avocado, cilantro, yogurt, scallions, garlic, lime juice, sugar and salt in a blender; blend until smooth.
- Place greens in an individual salad bowl; toss with 2 tablespoons of the dressing. (Refrigerate the remaining dressing.) Top the greens with black beans, corn and tomatoes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate leftover dressing for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 235 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 13 g fiber; 307 mg sodium; 1325 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (108% daily value), Vitamin C (78% dv), Folate (77% dv), Potassium (38% dv), Iron (27% dv), Magnesium (21% dv), Calcium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2011