Southwestern Beef & Bean Burger Wraps
From EatingWell: January/February 2007
Kids and adults alike will love these quick, zippy burgers. The beans make the burgers a little fragile, so be careful when taking them off the broiler pan. Make it a meal: Serve a green salad and frozen mango slices for dessert.
- 12 ounces 93%-lean ground beef
- 1 cup refried beans
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped pickled jalapenos
- 1 avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1/2 cup prepared salsa
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 whole-wheat tortillas, warmed (see Tip)
- 2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 1 lime, cut into 4 wedges
- Position oven rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler. Coat a broiler pan with cooking spray.
- Gently combine ground beef, beans, cilantro and jalapenos in a medium bowl (do not overmix). Shape into four 5-by-2-inch oblong patties and place on the prepared pan.
- Broil the patties until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center reads 165°F, 12 to 14 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mash together avocado, salsa and garlic powder in a small bowl.
- Place tortillas on a clean work surface. Spread each with the guacamole, then sprinkle with lettuce and cheese. Top each with a burger and roll into a wrap. Serve immediately, with lime wedges.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To warm tortillas: Wrap in foil; bake at 300°F until steaming, about 5 minutes. Or wrap in barely damp paper towels and microwave on High for 30 to 45 seconds.
Per serving: 455 calories; 20 g fat (6 g sat, 7 g mono); 62 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 9 g fiber; 716 mg sodium; 749 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Vitamin A (45% dv), Fiber & Zinc (40% dv), Folate & Potassium (23% dv), Magnesium (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- January/February 2007