Southwestern Beef & Bean Burger Wraps
From EatingWell: January/February 2007
Kids and adults alike will love these quick, zippy burgers. The beans make the burgers a little fragile, so be careful when taking them off the broiler pan. Make it a meal: Serve a green salad and frozen mango slices for dessert.
- 12 ounces 93%-lean ground beef
- 1 cup refried beans
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped pickled jalapenos
- 1 avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1/2 cup prepared salsa
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 whole-wheat tortillas, warmed (see Tip)
- 2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 1 lime, cut into 4 wedges
- Position oven rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler. Coat a broiler pan with cooking spray.
- Gently combine ground beef, beans, cilantro and jalapenos in a medium bowl (do not overmix). Shape into four 5-by-2-inch oblong patties and place on the prepared pan.
- Broil the patties until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center reads 165°F, 12 to 14 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mash together avocado, salsa and garlic powder in a small bowl.
- Place tortillas on a clean work surface. Spread each with the guacamole, then sprinkle with lettuce and cheese. Top each with a burger and roll into a wrap. Serve immediately, with lime wedges.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To warm tortillas: Wrap in foil; bake at 300°F until steaming, about 5 minutes. Or wrap in barely damp paper towels and microwave on High for 30 to 45 seconds.
Per serving: 455 calories; 20 g fat (6 g sat, 7 g mono); 62 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 9 g fiber; 716 mg sodium; 749 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Vitamin A (45% dv), Fiber & Zinc (40% dv), Folate & Potassium (23% dv), Magnesium (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- January/February 2007