Southwestern Three-Bean & Barley Soup
From EatingWell: November/December 2010
Serve this zesty bean and barley soup garnished with chopped fresh cilantro and a squeeze of lime, if desired.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large stalk celery, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 9 cups water
- 4 cups (32-ounce carton) reduced-sodium chicken broth, “no-chicken” broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1/3 cup dried black beans
- 1/3 cup dried great northern beans
- 1/3 cup dried kidney beans
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, celery and carrot and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add water, broth, barley, black beans, great northern beans, kidney beans, chili powder, cumin and oregano. Bring to a lively simmer over high heat. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are tender, 1 3/4 to 2 1/2 hours (adding more water, 1/2 cup at a time, if necessary or desired). Season with salt.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Slow-Cooker Variation: Use 2 cups water (instead of 9 cups) and combine all ingredients in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook until the beans are tender, about 4 hours on High or 7 to 8 hours on Low.
Per serving: 205 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 11 g protein; 10 g fiber; 705 mg sodium; 601 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (49% daily value), Magnesium & Potassium (17% dv), Iron (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- November/December 2010