I followed the recipe and used the crock port version. It turned out like a rich stew. I reeally enjoyed it. Got better with age and made a great lunch.
Southwestern Three-Bean & Barley Soup
From EatingWell: November/December 2010
Serve this zesty bean and barley soup garnished with chopped fresh cilantro and a squeeze of lime, if desired.
28 Reviews for Southwestern Three-Bean & Barley Soup
I found it! For medical reasons, I cannot eat spicy foods although dried spices, onion, and garlic are okay. most soups are way too spicy for me. This was just right. It cooks nicely in the crock pot and was great for left-overs.
I made this soup in the slow cooker with a few minor adjustments. First, I soaked the beans in a bowl of water for about an hour before putting into the slow cooker. I also added a can of ro tel diced tomatoes and chiles for a little flavor and spice. I added the liquid as modified in the recipe for a slow cooker, and really like the way this came out, very hearty and thick, almost like a stew. I would suggest adding more water if you like your soups a bit thinner. My husband added a little tobasco, but he likes a lot more heat than I do, I thought it was perfectly seasoned. Definitely a keeper!
This is a great winter warmer. My thanks to the previous reviewers who advised increasing the seasoning. I had a bone from a spiral ham and though, it's not low sodium, it makes an excellent broth. I refrigerated and skimmed the fat from the stock and made the recipe as directed except I ONLY had navy beans and barley in the pantry. I increased the amount of veggies and spices. The end result was outstanding!
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)