Southwest Quinoa Cakes
From EatingWell: March/April 2014
This healthy quinoa cake recipe is packed with protein from the black beans, eggs, cottage cheese and quinoa. We like to serve the quinoa cakes with a mouthwatering and incredibly easy blender salsa; if you don’t like the heat, leave out the chipotle pepper. We like the look of red quinoa, but any color quinoa will work just as well.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa, preferably red quinoa
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus a pinch, divided
- 1 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 1 14-ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 small chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 avocado, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 12-cup nonstick muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in quinoa. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until the grains are tender and reveal their spiraled germ, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Add eggs, beans, cottage cheese, scallions, flour, baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt to the quinoa and stir until well combined. Divide the mixture among the muffin cups (about 1/4 cup each). Top each quinoa cake with about 1 tablespoon cheese.
- Bake the cakes until puffed and a little brown on top, about 20 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Gently loosen and remove with a paring knife.
- Meanwhile, place tomatoes, garlic, chipotle pepper and a pinch of salt in a blender and puree until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in cilantro.
- Serve the cakes with the salsa and avocado.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the salsa (Step 5) for up to 3 days; bring to room temperature before serving.
- Chipotle chile peppers in adobo sauce are smoked jalapeños packed in a flavorful, spicy sauce. Look for the small cans with Mexican foods at large supermarkets. Once opened, they’ll keep for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator or 6 months in the freezer.
Per serving: 365 calories; 17 g fat (6 g sat, 5 g mono); 140 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g total sugars; 19 g protein; 7 g fiber; 662 mg sodium; 515 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (32% daily value), Calcium (28% dv), Vitamin C (27% dv), Iron (20% dv), Magnesium (19% dv), Vitamin A (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Cinco de Mayo
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- March/April 2014
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)