From EatingWell: July/August 2014
Adding okra to traditional ratatouille gives this French vegetable stew recipe Southern flair. It’s delicious on the day it’s cooked, but even better the next day. Serve as a side to grilled chicken or on top of thick, crusty bread.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small zucchini, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 eggplant (about 1 pound), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small poblano pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 pound okra, stem ends trimmed
- 3 large tomatoes, seeded (see Tip) and chopped
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- Heat oil in a large pot over high heat. Add zucchini, eggplant, onion, poblano and bell pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are seared and starting to soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in okra, tomatoes, water, thyme, salt and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to maintain a low simmer; partially cover and simmer, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in garlic and basil. Serve warm, at room temperature or even cold.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Seed your tomatoes for seed-free soups, sauces and stews: Cut the tomato in half crosswise and scoop out the seeds with your finger while gently squeezing.
Per serving: 84 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g total sugars; 3 g protein; 6 g fiber; 305 mg sodium; 671 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (84% daily value), Vitamin A (32% dv), Folate & Potassium (19% dv), Magnesium (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- July/August 2014
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)