From EatingWell: July/August 2014
Adding okra to traditional ratatouille gives this French vegetable stew recipe Southern flair. It’s delicious on the day it’s cooked, but even better the next day. Serve as a side to grilled chicken or on top of thick, crusty bread.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small zucchini, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 eggplant (about 1 pound), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small poblano pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 pound okra, stem ends trimmed
- 3 large tomatoes, seeded (see Tip) and chopped
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- Heat oil in a large pot over high heat. Add zucchini, eggplant, onion, poblano and bell pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are seared and starting to soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in okra, tomatoes, water, thyme, salt and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to maintain a low simmer; partially cover and simmer, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in garlic and basil. Serve warm, at room temperature or even cold.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Seed your tomatoes for seed-free soups, sauces and stews: Cut the tomato in half crosswise and scoop out the seeds with your finger while gently squeezing.
Per serving: 84 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g total sugars; 3 g protein; 6 g fiber; 305 mg sodium; 671 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (84% daily value), Vitamin A (32% dv), Folate & Potassium (19% dv), Magnesium (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2014