From EatingWell: July/August 2014
Adding okra to traditional ratatouille gives this French vegetable stew recipe Southern flair. It’s delicious on the day it’s cooked, but even better the next day. Serve as a side to grilled chicken or on top of thick, crusty bread.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small zucchini, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 eggplant (about 1 pound), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small poblano pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 pound okra, stem ends trimmed
- 3 large tomatoes, seeded (see Tip) and chopped
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- Heat oil in a large pot over high heat. Add zucchini, eggplant, onion, poblano and bell pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are seared and starting to soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in okra, tomatoes, water, thyme, salt and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to maintain a low simmer; partially cover and simmer, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in garlic and basil. Serve warm, at room temperature or even cold.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Seed your tomatoes for seed-free soups, sauces and stews: Cut the tomato in half crosswise and scoop out the seeds with your finger while gently squeezing.
Per serving: 84 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g total sugars; 3 g protein; 6 g fiber; 305 mg sodium; 671 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (84% daily value), Vitamin A (32% dv), Folate & Potassium (19% dv), Magnesium (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2014