From EatingWell: July/August 2014
Adding okra to traditional ratatouille gives this French vegetable stew recipe Southern flair. It’s delicious on the day it’s cooked, but even better the next day. Serve as a side to grilled chicken or on top of thick, crusty bread.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small zucchini, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 eggplant (about 1 pound), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small poblano pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 pound okra, stem ends trimmed
- 3 large tomatoes, seeded (see Tip) and chopped
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- Heat oil in a large pot over high heat. Add zucchini, eggplant, onion, poblano and bell pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are seared and starting to soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in okra, tomatoes, water, thyme, salt and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to maintain a low simmer; partially cover and simmer, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in garlic and basil. Serve warm, at room temperature or even cold.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Seed your tomatoes for seed-free soups, sauces and stews: Cut the tomato in half crosswise and scoop out the seeds with your finger while gently squeezing.
Per serving: 84 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g total sugars; 3 g protein; 6 g fiber; 305 mg sodium; 671 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (84% daily value), Vitamin A (32% dv), Folate & Potassium (19% dv), Magnesium (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2014