From EatingWell: July/August 2014
Adding okra to traditional ratatouille gives this French vegetable stew recipe Southern flair. It’s delicious on the day it’s cooked, but even better the next day. Serve as a side to grilled chicken or on top of thick, crusty bread.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small zucchini, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 eggplant (about 1 pound), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small poblano pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 pound okra, stem ends trimmed
- 3 large tomatoes, seeded (see Tip) and chopped
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- Heat oil in a large pot over high heat. Add zucchini, eggplant, onion, poblano and bell pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are seared and starting to soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in okra, tomatoes, water, thyme, salt and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to maintain a low simmer; partially cover and simmer, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in garlic and basil. Serve warm, at room temperature or even cold.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Seed your tomatoes for seed-free soups, sauces and stews: Cut the tomato in half crosswise and scoop out the seeds with your finger while gently squeezing.
Per serving: 84 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g total sugars; 3 g protein; 6 g fiber; 305 mg sodium; 671 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (84% daily value), Vitamin A (32% dv), Folate & Potassium (19% dv), Magnesium (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2014