Southern Pasta Salad with Black-Eyed Peas
From EatingWell: May/June 1996
This isn't any ordinary picnic pasta salad. Coffee and molasses add rich notes to the tangy dressing.
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 8 ounces small elbows or other small pasta shape
- 8 ounces Swiss chard (not the red variety), washed and cut crosswise into thin strips
- 8 ounces smoked turkey, chopped
- 2 14-ounce cans black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onions, such as Vidalia
- 1/4 cup brewed coffee or tea, such as Lapsang-Souchong
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Place sun-dried tomatoes in a small bowl, cover with boiling water and let stand until soft, about 10 minutes. Drain and let cool. Cut into slivers and set aside.
- Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until al dente, about 5 minutes; add chard during the last minute of cooking. Drain in a colander and rinse under cold water until cool. Press to remove excess water and transfer to a large bowl. Add turkey, black-eyed peas, onions and the reserved tomatoes.
- Whisk together the remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Add to the pasta and chard; toss until well-combined.
Per serving: 377 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 58 g carbohydrates; 21 g protein; 8 g fiber; 767 mg sodium; 508 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (54% daily value), Iron (26% dv), Vitamin C (24% dv), Folate (20% dv), Magnesium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- May/June 1996