Southern Pasta Salad with Black-Eyed Peas
From EatingWell: May/June 1996
This isn't any ordinary picnic pasta salad. Coffee and molasses add rich notes to the tangy dressing.
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 8 ounces small elbows or other small pasta shape
- 8 ounces Swiss chard (not the red variety), washed and cut crosswise into thin strips
- 8 ounces smoked turkey, chopped
- 2 14-ounce cans black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onions, such as Vidalia
- 1/4 cup brewed coffee or tea, such as Lapsang-Souchong
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Place sun-dried tomatoes in a small bowl, cover with boiling water and let stand until soft, about 10 minutes. Drain and let cool. Cut into slivers and set aside.
- Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until al dente, about 5 minutes; add chard during the last minute of cooking. Drain in a colander and rinse under cold water until cool. Press to remove excess water and transfer to a large bowl. Add turkey, black-eyed peas, onions and the reserved tomatoes.
- Whisk together the remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Add to the pasta and chard; toss until well-combined.
Per serving: 377 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 58 g carbohydrates; 21 g protein; 8 g fiber; 767 mg sodium; 508 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (54% daily value), Iron (26% dv), Vitamin C (24% dv), Folate (20% dv), Magnesium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- May/June 1996