Southern Pasta Salad with Black-Eyed Peas
From EatingWell: May/June 1996
This isn't any ordinary picnic pasta salad. Coffee and molasses add rich notes to the tangy dressing.
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 8 ounces small elbows or other small pasta shape
- 8 ounces Swiss chard (not the red variety), washed and cut crosswise into thin strips
- 8 ounces smoked turkey, chopped
- 2 14-ounce cans black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onions, such as Vidalia
- 1/4 cup brewed coffee or tea, such as Lapsang-Souchong
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Place sun-dried tomatoes in a small bowl, cover with boiling water and let stand until soft, about 10 minutes. Drain and let cool. Cut into slivers and set aside.
- Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until al dente, about 5 minutes; add chard during the last minute of cooking. Drain in a colander and rinse under cold water until cool. Press to remove excess water and transfer to a large bowl. Add turkey, black-eyed peas, onions and the reserved tomatoes.
- Whisk together the remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Add to the pasta and chard; toss until well-combined.
Per serving: 377 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 58 g carbohydrates; 21 g protein; 8 g fiber; 767 mg sodium; 508 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (54% daily value), Iron (26% dv), Vitamin C (24% dv), Folate (20% dv), Magnesium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- May/June 1996