Southern Pasta Salad with Black-Eyed Peas
From EatingWell: May/June 1996
This isn't any ordinary picnic pasta salad. Coffee and molasses add rich notes to the tangy dressing.
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 8 ounces small elbows or other small pasta shape
- 8 ounces Swiss chard (not the red variety), washed and cut crosswise into thin strips
- 8 ounces smoked turkey, chopped
- 2 14-ounce cans black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onions, such as Vidalia
- 1/4 cup brewed coffee or tea, such as Lapsang-Souchong
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Place sun-dried tomatoes in a small bowl, cover with boiling water and let stand until soft, about 10 minutes. Drain and let cool. Cut into slivers and set aside.
- Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until al dente, about 5 minutes; add chard during the last minute of cooking. Drain in a colander and rinse under cold water until cool. Press to remove excess water and transfer to a large bowl. Add turkey, black-eyed peas, onions and the reserved tomatoes.
- Whisk together the remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Add to the pasta and chard; toss until well-combined.
Per serving: 377 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 58 g carbohydrates; 21 g protein; 8 g fiber; 767 mg sodium; 508 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (54% daily value), Iron (26% dv), Vitamin C (24% dv), Folate (20% dv), Magnesium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- May/June 1996