From EatingWell: October/November 2006
Kale becomes melt-in-your-mouth tender in this recipe. Assertive garlic and salty country ham stand up to kale's bold flavor.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 ounces country ham, (see Note), pancetta or prosciutto, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 15 cups stemmed, torn and rinsed kale, (1-2 bunches)
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Heat oil in a large high-sided skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, stir, and immediately add ham (or pancetta or prosciutto). Add kale by the handful, stirring to make room for more leaves. When all the kale has been added, add water and crushed red pepper; stir to combine. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Uncover and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until most of the water has evaporated and the kale is tender, 10 to 15 minutes more. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Dry, salt-cured and aged between 90 and 180 days, country ham is potent, salty and delicious; a little goes a long way. You can find it online at country-ham.com and at countryham.org.
Per serving: 93 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 412 mg sodium; 371 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (360% daily value), Vitamin C (90% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Main Ingredient
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- October/November 2006
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)