From EatingWell: October/November 2006
Kale becomes melt-in-your-mouth tender in this recipe. Assertive garlic and salty country ham stand up to kale's bold flavor.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 ounces country ham, (see Note), pancetta or prosciutto, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 15 cups stemmed, torn and rinsed kale, (1-2 bunches)
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Heat oil in a large high-sided skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, stir, and immediately add ham (or pancetta or prosciutto). Add kale by the handful, stirring to make room for more leaves. When all the kale has been added, add water and crushed red pepper; stir to combine. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Uncover and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until most of the water has evaporated and the kale is tender, 10 to 15 minutes more. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Dry, salt-cured and aged between 90 and 180 days, country ham is potent, salty and delicious; a little goes a long way. You can find it online at country-ham.com and at countryham.org.
Per serving: 93 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 412 mg sodium; 371 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (360% daily value), Vitamin C (90% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- October/November 2006