From EatingWell: October/November 2006
Kale becomes melt-in-your-mouth tender in this recipe. Assertive garlic and salty country ham stand up to kale's bold flavor.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 ounces country ham, (see Note), pancetta or prosciutto, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 15 cups stemmed, torn and rinsed kale, (1-2 bunches)
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Heat oil in a large high-sided skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, stir, and immediately add ham (or pancetta or prosciutto). Add kale by the handful, stirring to make room for more leaves. When all the kale has been added, add water and crushed red pepper; stir to combine. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Uncover and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until most of the water has evaporated and the kale is tender, 10 to 15 minutes more. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Dry, salt-cured and aged between 90 and 180 days, country ham is potent, salty and delicious; a little goes a long way. You can find it online at country-ham.com and at countryham.org.
Per serving: 93 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 412 mg sodium; 371 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (360% daily value), Vitamin C (90% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- October/November 2006