From EatingWell: October/November 2006
Kale becomes melt-in-your-mouth tender in this recipe. Assertive garlic and salty country ham stand up to kale's bold flavor.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 ounces country ham, (see Note), pancetta or prosciutto, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 15 cups stemmed, torn and rinsed kale, (1-2 bunches)
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Heat oil in a large high-sided skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, stir, and immediately add ham (or pancetta or prosciutto). Add kale by the handful, stirring to make room for more leaves. When all the kale has been added, add water and crushed red pepper; stir to combine. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Uncover and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until most of the water has evaporated and the kale is tender, 10 to 15 minutes more. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Dry, salt-cured and aged between 90 and 180 days, country ham is potent, salty and delicious; a little goes a long way. You can find it online at country-ham.com and at countryham.org.
Per serving: 93 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 412 mg sodium; 371 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (360% daily value), Vitamin C (90% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- October/November 2006