Southeast Asian Scallops & Greens
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Fresh herbs and Asian flavors add interest to meaty sea scallops. Grilled steak or chicken can easily be substituted for the scallops; or, for a truly quick preparation, use precooked shrimp.
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 8 ounces dry sea scallops, (see Note)
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups mixed salad greens, preferably baby Asian greens
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup assorted fresh herb leaves, such as basil, cilantro and/or mint
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted (see Tip)
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Whisk vinegar, lime juice, oil, ginger and soy sauce in a medium bowl.
- Thread scallops onto two 12-inch skewers. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the scallops until cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Carefully remove the scallops from the skewers.
- Add salad greens, bell pepper and herbs to the dressing; toss to combine. Serve the salad topped with the scallops and sesame seeds.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Be sure to buy "dry" scallops, which have not been treated with sodium tripolyphosphate (STP). They are more flavorful and will brown properly.
- Tips: To toast sesame seeds, heat a small dry skillet over low heat. Add sesame seeds and stir constantly until golden and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and let cool.
- To oil a grill rack, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Per serving: 221 calories; 10 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 37 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 22 g protein; 4 g fiber; 463 mg sodium; 887 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (160% daily value), Vitamin A (100% dv), Iron (40% dv), Selenium (36% dv).
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 very lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- EatingWell Serves Two