Southeast Asian Scallops & Greens
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Fresh herbs and Asian flavors add interest to meaty sea scallops. Grilled steak or chicken can easily be substituted for the scallops; or, for a truly quick preparation, use precooked shrimp.
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 8 ounces dry sea scallops, (see Note)
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups mixed salad greens, preferably baby Asian greens
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup assorted fresh herb leaves, such as basil, cilantro and/or mint
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted (see Tip)
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Whisk vinegar, lime juice, oil, ginger and soy sauce in a medium bowl.
- Thread scallops onto two 12-inch skewers. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the scallops until cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Carefully remove the scallops from the skewers.
- Add salad greens, bell pepper and herbs to the dressing; toss to combine. Serve the salad topped with the scallops and sesame seeds.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Be sure to buy "dry" scallops, which have not been treated with sodium tripolyphosphate (STP). They are more flavorful and will brown properly.
- Tips: To toast sesame seeds, heat a small dry skillet over low heat. Add sesame seeds and stir constantly until golden and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and let cool.
- To oil a grill rack, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Per serving: 221 calories; 10 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 37 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 22 g protein; 4 g fiber; 463 mg sodium; 887 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (160% daily value), Vitamin A (100% dv), Iron (40% dv), Selenium (36% dv).
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 very lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- EatingWell Serves Two