Southeast Asian Scallops & Greens
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Fresh herbs and Asian flavors add interest to meaty sea scallops. Grilled steak or chicken can easily be substituted for the scallops; or, for a truly quick preparation, use precooked shrimp.
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 8 ounces dry sea scallops, (see Note)
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups mixed salad greens, preferably baby Asian greens
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup assorted fresh herb leaves, such as basil, cilantro and/or mint
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted (see Tip)
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Whisk vinegar, lime juice, oil, ginger and soy sauce in a medium bowl.
- Thread scallops onto two 12-inch skewers. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the scallops until cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Carefully remove the scallops from the skewers.
- Add salad greens, bell pepper and herbs to the dressing; toss to combine. Serve the salad topped with the scallops and sesame seeds.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Be sure to buy "dry" scallops, which have not been treated with sodium tripolyphosphate (STP). They are more flavorful and will brown properly.
- Tips: To toast sesame seeds, heat a small dry skillet over low heat. Add sesame seeds and stir constantly until golden and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and let cool.
- To oil a grill rack, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Per serving: 221 calories; 10 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 37 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 22 g protein; 4 g fiber; 463 mg sodium; 887 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (160% daily value), Vitamin A (100% dv), Iron (40% dv), Selenium (36% dv).
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 very lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- EatingWell Serves Two