Southeast Asian Scallops & Greens
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Fresh herbs and Asian flavors add interest to meaty sea scallops. Grilled steak or chicken can easily be substituted for the scallops; or, for a truly quick preparation, use precooked shrimp.
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 8 ounces dry sea scallops, (see Note)
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups mixed salad greens, preferably baby Asian greens
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup assorted fresh herb leaves, such as basil, cilantro and/or mint
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted (see Tip)
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Whisk vinegar, lime juice, oil, ginger and soy sauce in a medium bowl.
- Thread scallops onto two 12-inch skewers. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the scallops until cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Carefully remove the scallops from the skewers.
- Add salad greens, bell pepper and herbs to the dressing; toss to combine. Serve the salad topped with the scallops and sesame seeds.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Be sure to buy "dry" scallops, which have not been treated with sodium tripolyphosphate (STP). They are more flavorful and will brown properly.
- Tips: To toast sesame seeds, heat a small dry skillet over low heat. Add sesame seeds and stir constantly until golden and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and let cool.
- To oil a grill rack, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Per serving: 221 calories; 10 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 37 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 22 g protein; 4 g fiber; 463 mg sodium; 887 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (160% daily value), Vitamin A (100% dv), Iron (40% dv), Selenium (36% dv).
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 very lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- EatingWell Serves Two