Sour Cream Mushroom Soup
From EatingWell: January/February 1994
This healthy version of cream of mushroom soup uses reduced-fat sour cream and low-fat milk to make it creamy while keeping the fat in check. Fresh tarragon and nutmeg flavor it nicely.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 pound mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Pinch cayenne pepper, or dash Tabasco (optional)
- Snipped fresh chives, for garnish (optional)
- Fresh tarragon sprigs, for garnish (optional)
- Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan over low heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until soft and translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Add tarragon and nutmeg and cook for 1 minute more. Stir in mushrooms, cover pot and steam until the mushrooms exude their moisture, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over the mushrooms. Increase heat to medium and cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes. Gradually stir in broth, stirring and scraping any flour that clings to the pan. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened and smooth, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Combine sour cream and milk; whisk into the mushroom mixture. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne (or Tabasco), if desired. Gently heat, stirring, until the soup is hot but not boiling. Garnish the soup with chives and tarragon before serving if desired.
Per serving: 170 calories; 8 g fat (4 g sat, 3 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 1 g fiber; 134 mg sodium; 462 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- January/February 1994