Sour Cream Mushroom Soup
From EatingWell: January/February 1994
This healthy version of cream of mushroom soup uses reduced-fat sour cream and low-fat milk to make it creamy while keeping the fat in check. Fresh tarragon and nutmeg flavor it nicely.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 pound mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Pinch cayenne pepper, or dash Tabasco (optional)
- Snipped fresh chives, for garnish (optional)
- Fresh tarragon sprigs, for garnish (optional)
- Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan over low heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until soft and translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Add tarragon and nutmeg and cook for 1 minute more. Stir in mushrooms, cover pot and steam until the mushrooms exude their moisture, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over the mushrooms. Increase heat to medium and cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes. Gradually stir in broth, stirring and scraping any flour that clings to the pan. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened and smooth, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Combine sour cream and milk; whisk into the mushroom mixture. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne (or Tabasco), if desired. Gently heat, stirring, until the soup is hot but not boiling. Garnish the soup with chives and tarragon before serving if desired.
Per serving: 170 calories; 8 g fat (4 g sat, 3 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 1 g fiber; 134 mg sodium; 462 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If you’re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
There’s no “magic bullet” for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If you’re feeling blue—or want to ward off feeling that way—...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When you’re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If you’re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1994