Sour Cream Mushroom Soup
From EatingWell: January/February 1994
This healthy version of cream of mushroom soup uses reduced-fat sour cream and low-fat milk to make it creamy while keeping the fat in check. Fresh tarragon and nutmeg flavor it nicely.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 pound mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Pinch cayenne pepper, or dash Tabasco (optional)
- Snipped fresh chives, for garnish (optional)
- Fresh tarragon sprigs, for garnish (optional)
- Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan over low heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until soft and translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Add tarragon and nutmeg and cook for 1 minute more. Stir in mushrooms, cover pot and steam until the mushrooms exude their moisture, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over the mushrooms. Increase heat to medium and cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes. Gradually stir in broth, stirring and scraping any flour that clings to the pan. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened and smooth, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Combine sour cream and milk; whisk into the mushroom mixture. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne (or Tabasco), if desired. Gently heat, stirring, until the soup is hot but not boiling. Garnish the soup with chives and tarragon before serving if desired.
Per serving: 170 calories; 8 g fat (4 g sat, 3 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 1 g fiber; 134 mg sodium; 462 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1994