Sour Cream Mushroom Soup
From EatingWell: January/February 1994
This healthy version of cream of mushroom soup uses reduced-fat sour cream and low-fat milk to make it creamy while keeping the fat in check. Fresh tarragon and nutmeg flavor it nicely.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 pound mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Pinch cayenne pepper, or dash Tabasco (optional)
- Snipped fresh chives, for garnish (optional)
- Fresh tarragon sprigs, for garnish (optional)
- Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan over low heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until soft and translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Add tarragon and nutmeg and cook for 1 minute more. Stir in mushrooms, cover pot and steam until the mushrooms exude their moisture, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over the mushrooms. Increase heat to medium and cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes. Gradually stir in broth, stirring and scraping any flour that clings to the pan. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened and smooth, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Combine sour cream and milk; whisk into the mushroom mixture. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne (or Tabasco), if desired. Gently heat, stirring, until the soup is hot but not boiling. Garnish the soup with chives and tarragon before serving if desired.
Per serving: 170 calories; 8 g fat (4 g sat, 3 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 1 g fiber; 134 mg sodium; 462 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- January/February 1994