Sour Cream Mushroom Soup
From EatingWell: January/February 1994
This healthy version of cream of mushroom soup uses reduced-fat sour cream and low-fat milk to make it creamy while keeping the fat in check. Fresh tarragon and nutmeg flavor it nicely.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 pound mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Pinch cayenne pepper, or dash Tabasco (optional)
- Snipped fresh chives, for garnish (optional)
- Fresh tarragon sprigs, for garnish (optional)
- Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan over low heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until soft and translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Add tarragon and nutmeg and cook for 1 minute more. Stir in mushrooms, cover pot and steam until the mushrooms exude their moisture, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over the mushrooms. Increase heat to medium and cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes. Gradually stir in broth, stirring and scraping any flour that clings to the pan. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened and smooth, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Combine sour cream and milk; whisk into the mushroom mixture. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne (or Tabasco), if desired. Gently heat, stirring, until the soup is hot but not boiling. Garnish the soup with chives and tarragon before serving if desired.
Per serving: 170 calories; 8 g fat (4 g sat, 3 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 1 g fiber; 134 mg sodium; 462 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- January/February 1994