From EatingWell: October/November 2006
Like poor people everywhere, mountain people in the South thrived for centuries on food that was indigenous, inexpensive and healthful. These days "soup beans" speak instant comfort to anyone who had familial connections from Appalachia, where every garden produced shelling beans that could be eaten fresh or grown to maturity for dry beans. Serve this thick, stewlike soup with cornbread, pickle relish and diced sweet onion.
- 1 pound pinto, yellow-eyed or other dried beans, sorted and rinsed (2 1/2 cups)
- 12 cups water
- 8 ounces finely diced ham, (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 medium onion, peeled
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Place beans, water, ham, onion, garlic, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper in a large Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the beans are very tender and beginning to burst, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. If necessary, add an additional 1/2 to 1 cup water while simmering to keep the beans just submerged in cooking liquid.
- Remove from the heat; discard the onion and garlic. Transfer 2 cups of the beans to a medium bowl and coarsely mash with a fork or potato masher. Return the mashed beans to the pot; stir to combine.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Per serving: 244 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 19 g protein; 12 g fiber; 531 mg sodium; 702 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (57% daily value), Potassium (20% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Comfort foods
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- October/November 2006