Sopa de Lima
From EatingWell: January/February 1995
This lime-infused chicken soup hails from Mexico's Yucatan region. Feel free to adjust the amount of chiles to your taste. Make it a meal: Cook up some Quesadillas con Frijoles Refritos to serve alongside.
- 8 cups Homemade Chicken Broth, (recipe follows) or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2-4 serrano or other hot chiles, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (1 large or 2 small), trimmed and diced
- 2 large vine-ripened tomatoes, seeded and diced
- Salt, to taste
- 4 corn tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
- Lime wedges, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bring broth and lime juice to a boil in a large pot. Reduce the heat to low; simmer 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until soft and beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Stir in chiles to taste and garlic; cook until the mixture is brown and aromatic, 1 to 2 minutes longer. Add 1 ladleful of the hot broth to the pan, stir, and pour the contents of the pan into the simmering broth. Add chicken, tomatoes and salt to taste. Simmer gently until the chicken is no longer pink inside, about 5 minutes; remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, set tortilla strips on a baking sheet and bake until crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Place a few strips in the bottom of each soup bowl, ladle the soup into the bowls and sprinkle with cilantro leaves. Serve with lime wedges on the side.
Per serving: 174 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 38 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 19 g protein; 2 g fiber; 275 mg sodium; 343 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Cinco de Mayo
- January/February 1995