Sopa de Lima
From EatingWell: January/February 1995
This lime-infused chicken soup hails from Mexico's Yucatan region. Feel free to adjust the amount of chiles to your taste. Make it a meal: Cook up some Quesadillas con Frijoles Refritos to serve alongside.
- 8 cups Homemade Chicken Broth, (recipe follows) or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2-4 serrano or other hot chiles, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (1 large or 2 small), trimmed and diced
- 2 large vine-ripened tomatoes, seeded and diced
- Salt, to taste
- 4 corn tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
- Lime wedges, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bring broth and lime juice to a boil in a large pot. Reduce the heat to low; simmer 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until soft and beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Stir in chiles to taste and garlic; cook until the mixture is brown and aromatic, 1 to 2 minutes longer. Add 1 ladleful of the hot broth to the pan, stir, and pour the contents of the pan into the simmering broth. Add chicken, tomatoes and salt to taste. Simmer gently until the chicken is no longer pink inside, about 5 minutes; remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, set tortilla strips on a baking sheet and bake until crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Place a few strips in the bottom of each soup bowl, ladle the soup into the bowls and sprinkle with cilantro leaves. Serve with lime wedges on the side.
Per serving: 174 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 38 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 19 g protein; 2 g fiber; 275 mg sodium; 343 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Cinco de Mayo
- Ease of Preparation
- January/February 1995