Sopa de Lima
From EatingWell: January/February 1995
This lime-infused chicken soup hails from Mexico's Yucatan region. Feel free to adjust the amount of chiles to your taste. Make it a meal: Cook up some Quesadillas con Frijoles Refritos to serve alongside.
- 8 cups Homemade Chicken Broth, (recipe follows) or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2-4 serrano or other hot chiles, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (1 large or 2 small), trimmed and diced
- 2 large vine-ripened tomatoes, seeded and diced
- Salt, to taste
- 4 corn tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
- Lime wedges, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bring broth and lime juice to a boil in a large pot. Reduce the heat to low; simmer 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until soft and beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Stir in chiles to taste and garlic; cook until the mixture is brown and aromatic, 1 to 2 minutes longer. Add 1 ladleful of the hot broth to the pan, stir, and pour the contents of the pan into the simmering broth. Add chicken, tomatoes and salt to taste. Simmer gently until the chicken is no longer pink inside, about 5 minutes; remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, set tortilla strips on a baking sheet and bake until crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Place a few strips in the bottom of each soup bowl, ladle the soup into the bowls and sprinkle with cilantro leaves. Serve with lime wedges on the side.
Per serving: 174 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 38 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 19 g protein; 2 g fiber; 275 mg sodium; 343 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Cinco de Mayo
- January/February 1995