Sopa de Lima
From EatingWell: January/February 1995
This lime-infused chicken soup hails from Mexico's Yucatan region. Feel free to adjust the amount of chiles to your taste. Make it a meal: Cook up some Quesadillas con Frijoles Refritos to serve alongside.
- 8 cups Homemade Chicken Broth, (recipe follows) or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2-4 serrano or other hot chiles, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (1 large or 2 small), trimmed and diced
- 2 large vine-ripened tomatoes, seeded and diced
- Salt, to taste
- 4 corn tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
- Lime wedges, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bring broth and lime juice to a boil in a large pot. Reduce the heat to low; simmer 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until soft and beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Stir in chiles to taste and garlic; cook until the mixture is brown and aromatic, 1 to 2 minutes longer. Add 1 ladleful of the hot broth to the pan, stir, and pour the contents of the pan into the simmering broth. Add chicken, tomatoes and salt to taste. Simmer gently until the chicken is no longer pink inside, about 5 minutes; remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, set tortilla strips on a baking sheet and bake until crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Place a few strips in the bottom of each soup bowl, ladle the soup into the bowls and sprinkle with cilantro leaves. Serve with lime wedges on the side.
Per serving: 174 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 38 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 19 g protein; 2 g fiber; 275 mg sodium; 343 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Cinco de Mayo
- January/February 1995