Sopa de Lima
From EatingWell: January/February 1995
This lime-infused chicken soup hails from Mexico's Yucatan region. Feel free to adjust the amount of chiles to your taste. Make it a meal: Cook up some Quesadillas con Frijoles Refritos to serve alongside.
- 8 cups Homemade Chicken Broth, (recipe follows) or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2-4 serrano or other hot chiles, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (1 large or 2 small), trimmed and diced
- 2 large vine-ripened tomatoes, seeded and diced
- Salt, to taste
- 4 corn tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
- Lime wedges, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bring broth and lime juice to a boil in a large pot. Reduce the heat to low; simmer 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until soft and beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Stir in chiles to taste and garlic; cook until the mixture is brown and aromatic, 1 to 2 minutes longer. Add 1 ladleful of the hot broth to the pan, stir, and pour the contents of the pan into the simmering broth. Add chicken, tomatoes and salt to taste. Simmer gently until the chicken is no longer pink inside, about 5 minutes; remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, set tortilla strips on a baking sheet and bake until crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Place a few strips in the bottom of each soup bowl, ladle the soup into the bowls and sprinkle with cilantro leaves. Serve with lime wedges on the side.
Per serving: 174 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 38 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 19 g protein; 2 g fiber; 275 mg sodium; 343 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Main Ingredient
- Cinco de Mayo
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- January/February 1995
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)