Sofia's Chicken Paprikash
Brilliant red paprika, the main seasoning in Hungarian cooking, gives this light version of chicken paprikash its color. Vary the heat by using hot, sweet or a combination of paprikas. Serve over whole-wheat egg noodles with a side of steamed broccoli and a cool fruit salad for dessert.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 large green bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion,halved and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons hot or sweet paprika
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add bell peppers and onion to the pan and cook, covered, over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add paprika and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add wine; increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring, until mostly evaporated, about 1 1/2 minutes. Add tomatoes, broth and lemon juice; bring to a boil. Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the pan; reduce heat to a lively simmer. Spoon some sauce over the chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until the sauce is reduced and the chicken is cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream. Sprinkle with parsley.
Per serving: 263 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 72 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 4 g fiber; 294 mg sodium; 804 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (140% daily value), Vitamin A (35% dv), Potassium (23% dv), Magnesium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Eastern European/Russian